I have been researching, reading, and listening for awhile now to the small business world in regards to social media and blogging. There are plenty of business owners and professionals in the world who accept social media as a new form of communications… and plenty who do not.
I decided to write a small guide for business owners to gauge whether or not they should be in social media.
10 Reasons You Should Not Be on Social Media As a Business
1. You would rather not change your business model of communication. You are content with direct mail and email marketing. You are right, they will be around in 5 years.
2. The only computer you have in your office is the black and green screen MAC.
3. You purchased a dial-up modem to “save money.”
4. You are still struggling with the reply and forward functions in e-mail.
5. You are convinced that the only people using social media are college kids and pot smokers.
6. You feel that the newspaper is still a valuable form of advertising.
7. You designed your logo in powerpoint or publisher and all brochures were designed in the same programs.
8. When asked about time commitment you whine about an extra 30 mins a day to grow your business.
9. Your website was designed pre-2005 and has not been updated.
10. You find that building “trust” in a marketplace is a waste of time.
If you fit any of the following criteria… do me a favor and stay off social media.