I love LinkedIn… there I said it. I’m a huge advocate of using LinkedIn for networking and personal brand development. I have used the site religiously for over 4 years and will not stop. However, I have less experience in the LinkedIn ad placement and development.
I wanted to learn more about the development of a successful LinkedIn Ad campaign and so I tapped the mind of Kristina Allen.
Kristina Allen (previously the online marketing manager at ion interactive, now the marketing manager at Nimble, makers of the first truly social CRM.) ran a LinkedIn ad campaign in order to drive more interaction and leads for her company. We learned that her click-through rate was an abysmal under 1% CTR (despite really targeted ads. She notes that it could be because she was targeting online marketers at the management/executive level who may be mostly bling to online ads.
However, she did receive high conversion rates (20-30% range). This is what she did in order to receive the high conversion rates:
- Create a landing page for each ad campaign with the message, image, and offer to match that of the ad
- Included a call to action as the last sentence in the ad (like “Buy it now”)
- Optimized the landing page for conversion (which includes minimal form fields, call to action kept above the fold, bullet point description of what to expect, and emphasizing the added value.
- Use landing page software to track conversion (+A/B test page variations). You can use either Formstack or LiveBall by ion interactive to accomplish this task.
- Create niche networks to drive your ad and remember that an abismal click through rate does not mean you have a bad ad… conversion is everything.